Friday 19 April 2019

Blue Ones - A medical dialogue




Doctor’s consultation room. NESS, the doctor, seating behind her desk. JACOB, her patient, comes in.


NESS: Take a seat, Jacob. That one there. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely.

NESS: So. Any news?

JACOB: There is. And I should have told you sooner. I’m sorry about that.

NESS:  Oh, gracious me, there’s no need to be sorry. So what is it? Please, in your own words. And I’ll make notes if I may. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely. 

NESS: Right, well I’ll just get my pen ready. I shan’t be a moment. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely.

NESS: Right, I’m ready. Off you go.

JACOB: So… well…. There’s been a development. If I can put it that way.

NESS: Absolutely. What kind of a development?

JACOB: Not a very good one, I’m afraid. I’m sorry about that.

NESS: Oh, you don’t need to be sorry, gracious me, no. A development, you say?

JACOB: Yes.

NESS: What kind of a development?

JACOB: Not a good one, I’m afraid. It’s er…. Well, how shall I put it? Er…. Do you mind if I take my coat off? Is that all right?

NESS: Absolutely. It is hot in here. Put it on the peg there. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely. (Takes coat off) So, as I was saying, there’s been a development.

NESS: Yes, you said. A development, eh?

JACOB: Absolutely. 

NESS: So what was it?

JACOB: Well…. I don’t know how to put it.

NESS: Why not start at the beginning. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely. Well…. It’s like this. Do you remember when we talked last time?

NESS: I do. Absolutely.

JACOB:  And do you remember what I told you last time?

NESS: No. Just remind me, would you? Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely. So, where was I?

NESS: Last time. You were telling me about last time. 

JACOB: Right. So. Well. Yes, last time. Yes. Absolutely. So, remember I said that I had forgotten to take the pink ones?

NESS:  Oh, no. Don’t remember that.

JACOB: You don’t remember?

NESS:  No. I’m sorry about that. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely. Anyway….

NESS: You forgot to take the pink ones?

JACOB: Yes. I’m sorry about that. 

NESS: Goodness me, there’s no need to be sorry. So you forgot to take the blue ones?

JACOB: No. The pink ones.

NESS: The pink ones? Oh, yes. Did I say the blue ones. I’m sorry about it.

JACOB: Oh, there’s no need to be sorry. Absolutely. 

NESS: Thank you, Jacob. May I call you Jacob? Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely.

NESS: So, the blue ones. You forgot to take the blue ones.

JACOB: No. The pink ones.

NESS: Oh yes! The pink ones. The pink ones, yes. I’m sorry about that. Is that all right?

JACOB: Absolutely, Ness. May I call you Ness. Is that all right?

NESS: Absolutely, Jacob. So. Right. The pink ones, eh?

JACOB: Yes.

NESS: Right. Yes. So you forgot to take them, eh?

JACOB: Yes. I’m sorry about that.

NESS: What about the blue ones?

JACOB: Blue ones?

NESS: Yes.

JACOB: I don’t take any blue ones.

NESS: Oh. 

JACOB: No.

NESS: Right. No blue ones, eh?

JACOB: No. I’m sorry about that.

NESS: Oh, goodness me, there’s no need to be sorry. So, you forgot to take the pink ones?

JACOB: Yes. I’m sorry about that.

NESS: Anyway, how do you feel?

JACOB: How do I feel?

NESS: Yes.

JACOB: How do you mean?

NESS: About not taking the pink ones?

JACOB: Oh, I’m sorry about that. Is that all right?

NESS: Absolutely! But how do you feel? I mean, do you feel all right?

JACOB: Absolutely!

NESS: Oh, good! Absolutely! (Pause) Right, well in that case everything seems to be fine. So I’ll see you again in six months time. Is that all right?

 I’ll see you next time.

JACOB: Absolutely! (Puts his coat on) Right, well, until next time.

NESS: Bye bye, then. Bye bye. 

JACOB: Bye bye.

Jacob leaves.

NESS: (alone - to herself) I could have sworn he took blue ones. But he must know what he takes. Absolutely! (Her telephone rings - she listens) Oh, yes, send him in. Absolutely. Send him in. Is that all right?


Finis.



No comments:

Post a Comment