|Cours Saleya in 1890|
The space was originally known as la Marina, then, from 1714, the term Palco was used. The name Cours was first used during the Napoleonic era, and it adopted its present name of le Cours Saleya at the beginning of the 20th Century. Wikepedia France
The Cours runs parallel to the Quai des États-Unis and the bay, and is overlooked by the Colline du Château (Castle Hill) the ancient fortification which dominates the old town.
|Cours Saleya to the left as seen from Castle Hill|
In 1861 the municipality created in the Cours a market for fruit and vegetables which was later expanded to include flowers. In the 1980s the market was fully pedestrianised, and is now the home, not only to the Flower Market, but t0 an antiques market, numerous cafés and restaurants, as well as one of the few authentic Irish pubs on the coast: Ma Nolans Irish Bar. And it was rated No. 1 of 212 things to do in Nice and No. 4 of 5,519 places to shop in Europe by Lonely Planet.
|A tranquil spot for strollers and shoppers|
|View across the market to the Colline|